Healthcare for the Homeless Holiday Store
Wednesday, December 12, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
A very special holiday partnership began 11 years ago between the Escuela Community and Albuquerque Healthcare for the Homeless (AHCH), a partnership driven by our students to provide homeless families with holiday gifts. The Holiday Store at AHCH's Art Street facility, created each holiday season by Escuela families and the staff of AHCH, enables and empowers AHCH clients to "shop" free of charge for gifts that their children will enjoy. While parents are shopping, Escuela's Elementary students and the AHCH children play together and enjoy holiday activities, snacks, and music.
This neighborhood outreach/service learning project is a fantastic opportunity for the entire Escuela community. Help is needed in many ways; there is something for everyone wishing to participate.
Before the event:
- Donate items for the store. Boxes clearly marked for Holiday Store donations will be located by parent mailboxes.
- Donate items for the art stations. Necessary items include old holiday cards, buttons, glue sticks, glitter, markers, etc.
- Solicit funds on behalf of the store. Cash donations are used to further stock the store and art stations. (Checks must be written to Escuela. Please contact the office at 242-3033 or by email for information regarding tax-deductible donation receipts.)
- Help with setup of the store on Saturday, December 8, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Come for all or part of the day.
- Shop for additional items. As needed before the event.
- Donate holiday decorations. New or used; will decorate the store and play area.
- Take a donation box to the office. If you believe your workplace would be a good place to collect gift donations, please let us know. If you need a box, we can get you one...as well as a student-made sign to go on it.
During the event:
- Work the event! 10 am - 1 pm, or 1 pm - 4 pm, or clean up afterwards. Sign up sheets are available in each classroom.
- Pick up donated items. Generally, this is food at various locations.
- Provide food.
- Craft station. Keep area stocked and organized; assist with projects.
- Gift wrap station. Lend a hand to Escuela students in this area of the store.
- Be a shopping guide. Accompany Escuela students as they guide families through the store (we need Spanish speakers too!).
If you have questions or would like to get involved, please contact the Escuela office.