Important News - Effective March 29, Robin and Tom Day, proprietors of Robin's Café at the Harwood, will close the café as they look forward to retirement. Parents and students of Escuela del Sol, be assured that Robin will continue to provide lunch for our students through the remainder of this school year - and you can still stop in for that morning coffee, treats, breakfast burritos, or frozen soup.
Robin's lunch program is an integral part of our school community; many alumni recount the kitchen as one of their favorite memories of Escuela. Students going to the kitchen to get a snack, parents stopping in for a friendly chat with their cup of coffee, neighbors coming for lunch --- so much will be missed! Nevertheless, we wish Robin and Tom well as they prepare for a well-deserved rest from the hard work of providing meals for our community; we know they will continue to be a part of Escuela in some way, for many days to come.
While Robin can never be replaced, we have faith that a new chef, caregiver, cook can be found to nourish our students and the Escuela community. If you know of someone who may be able to help with our search, please contact Friedje vanGils.
In the meantime, continue to partake and enjoy the company and great food prepared with love by Robin and Tom!
Lunch is available for purchase through Escuela's caterers, Robin and Tom Day. They have been providing delicious, nutritious snacks and meals for Escuela families and staff since 1999. Her café/kitchen is conveniently located in the Harwood Art Center, a short walk across the Plaza between the school and Art Center.
Meals are a smorgasbord of wholesome, mostly vegetarian fare. Everything is prepared on site in Robin's Kitchen with breads and desserts baked daily. You are welcome to join your child for lunch anytime, just let the Days and your child's teacher know you are coming. Lunch may be ordered in advance or on an as-needed basis.
Come say hello! The kitchen opens by 8:00 every morning - fresh coffee, baked goods and breakfast burritos are available for purchase, so stop by after you drop off your child. Robin also has delicious soups and stews available for takeout from the freezer.
How to order Lunches
- Be certain you order before 9:00 am! (If your child is not signed up before 9:00 and there is not enough food, I can provide a cream cheese and honey sandwich and fruit.)
- Be sure I am aware of all food allergies or if your child is a vegetarian.
- Place all lunch orders directly with Robin. I rent the kitchen so I am actually being hired by you to feed your child.
- Envelopes are also available in the HOT LUNCH slot outside the primary classrooms. Just fill out the envelope and leave it there. I check the HOT LUNCH boxes between 9:30 and 10:00 am every morning.
- Please make checks payable to Robin's or Robin Day.
How to Pay for Lunches
Most parents pay for the month when they turn menus in. You may also choose to:
- Pay for a single lunch when it is ordered.
- Pay ahead for a certain number of lunches and call me when you want your child to eat.
- Order lunches as needed and pay the total at the end of the month. There will be a $4.00 service charge for giving you an invoice (you can take care of your accumulated tab at any time before the end of the month by contacting Robin for the total owed). Invoices need to be paid by the 15th of the following month. A 10% late charge will be assessed for each week after that.
Lunch Prices (include tax)
- Toddlers - $3.00
- Primary - $3.50
- Elementary - $4.00
- Notify the kitchen of absences or cancellations by 9:00 to receive a credit. Please do not expect a credit if you have not cancelled lunch.